Horse Racing and Boat Racing in Japan both have a long history, with horse racing starting in the 1800s and becoming very popular in the 1980s when Japanese horse races, specifically the Japan Cup became one of the richest races in the world. Boat racing, or powerboat racing as it is known in the west, is a one-man, small boat with an outboard motor, called Kyotei (mean Boat Racing) started gaining popularity about 10 years ago. Both Horse Racing and Boat Racing allow legal gambling, which is very rare for Japanese sports. Here is a list of Tokyo Horse Racing & Boat Racing places.
Horse Racing In Japan Information
You might not immediately consider Tokyo or Japan as a Horse Racing mecca. The history of horse racing goes back to the 1860s. Since the bubble economy, Japan has been one of the highest paying horse races in the world and in 1981 Tokyo Fuchu Racecourse was inaugurated and has become one of the premier global races on the racing calendar. If the Japan Cup is running you will have to book tickets well in advance.
Google Maps Location: 1-1 Hiyoshicho, Fuchu, Tokyo Access:
- Approx. 2 minutes on foot from Keio
Line Fuchu Keiba Seimon Mae Station to the Main Gate using the special
(Approx. 22 minutes from Keio Line Shinjuku Station by limited express or local limited express, transferring at Higashi-Fuchu Station, on days when the Tokyo Racecourse has live races)
- Approx. 10 minutes on foot from the
South Exit of Keio Line Higashi-Fuchu Station to the Racecourse East Gate.
(Approx. 20 minutes from Keio Line Shinjuku Station by limited express or local limited express on days when the Tokyo Racecourse has live races)
- Approx. 5 minutes on foot from the special ticket gate of the JR Musashino Line / Nambu Line Fuchu-Honmachi Station to the West Gate using the special overpass.
Daytime Race Dates: April 20th,21nd/27th,28th May 4th,5th/11th,12th/18th,19th/25th,26th June 1st,2nd/8th,9th/15th,16th/22nd,23rd October 5th,6th/12th,13th/19th,20th/26th,27th December 2nd,3rd/9th,10th/16th,17th/23rd,24th
Google Maps Location: 1-1-1 Funabashi, Chiba Access:
- Approx. 15 minutes by bus and 30 minutes on foot from JR Nishi-Funabashi Station.
- Approx. 10 minutes on foot from JR Funabashi-Hoten Station using the special underpass (Nakki Mall moving walkway installed).
- Approx. 10 minutes by bus and 20 minutes on foot from Keisei Higashi-Nakayama Station.
Daytime Race Dates: March 2nd,3rd/9th,10th/16th,17th/23rd,24th/30th,31st April 6th,7th/13th,14th September 7th,8th/14th,15th/21st,22nd/28th,29th November 30th December 1st-7th/8th-14th/15th-21st/22nd-28th
Oi Racecourse (Oikeibajo)
Google Maps Location: 2-1-2 Katsushima, Shinagawa, Tokyo Access:
- 2 minutes from Monorail Oi Keibajomae Station.
- 12 minutes from Keihin Electric Express Railway Tachiaigawa Station.
- On days when races are held, free shuttle buses run between the Oi Racecourse and JR Omori Station, JR Oi-machi Station and JR Kinshicho Station (during the night races only). A free shuttle bus only for the return route from the racecourse runs to JR Meguro Station via JR Shinagawa Station.
Daytime Race Dates: March 4th,5th,6th,7th,8th/18th,19th,20th,21st,22nd
Nigh time Race Dates: April 8th-12th/22nd-26th May 20th-24th June 3rd-7th/24th-28th July 8th-12th/29th August 1st 11th-16th/25th-28th September 2nd/23rd-27th October 28th- November 1st December 9th-13th
Google Maps Location: 1-2-1 Wakamatsu, Funabashi-shi, Chiba. Access:
- 10 minutes from JR Minami-Funabashi Station
- 5 minutes from Keisei Railway Funabashi Keibajo Station
Night Racing Dates: March 11th-15th April 15th-19th May 6th-10th June 17th-21st July 14th-17th August 7th-10th September 2nd/23rd-27th October 28th-31st November 1st December 9th-13th
Google Maps Location: 1-5-1 Fujimi, Kawasaki-ku, Kanagawa, Kawasaki. Access:
- 15 minutes from JR Kawasaki Station.
- 12 minutes from Keihin Electric Express Railway Kawasaki Station.
- 1 minute from Keihin Electric Express Railway Daishi Line Minato-machi Station.
- On days when races are held, a free shuttle bus runs between the Kawasaki Racecourse and the No. 13 Bus Stop of the East Exit of JR Kawasaki Station.
Daytime Race Dates: March 1st
Nighttime Race Dates: April 1st-5th May 13th-17th June 10th-14th July 2nd-5th August 2nd/5th,6th/20th-23rd September 3rd-6th October 20th-25th November 17th-22nd December 16th-20th
Boat Racing In Japan Information
Google Maps Location: 1-1-1 Heiwajima, Ota, Tokyo. Access:
- 10 Minutes from Keihin Kyoko line
- JR Omori shuttle bus #1
Race Dates: March 1st-4th/10th-15th/ April 3rd-7th/ 10th-15th/20th-24th May 3rd-8th/18th-23rd/ 26th- June 14th-19th/24th-29th
Start Time: Opens 10:00am
Google Maps Location: 3-1-1 Higashikomatsugawa, Edogawa-ku, Tokyo. Access:
- About 15 minutes from JR Sobu Line Hirai Station North
- Subway Tozai Line Nishi-Kasai Station about 10 minutes from the south exit
- About 5 minutes from the Toei Shinjuku Line Funabori Station
Race Dates: March 2nd-6th/10th-15th/19th-22nd/ April 2nd-6th/16th-19th May 3rd-5th/18th-19th June 14th-17th
Start Time: Opens 10:00am
Google Maps Location: 4-11 Koremasa, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo Access: Seibu Tamagawa line, Kyoteijyo Mae Station, 3 min walk
March 2nd-6th/12th-17th/21st-26th April 7th-10th/13th-15th May 7th-8th/26th-28th June 18th-19th/21st-23rd
Start Time: Opens at 10:15 am